SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Friday 11 November 2011

A day of remembrance

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month

Such a sad day for so many...when millions of us think about the sacrifices made by so many in wars past and present. When we remember those who lie in a foreign land...

I always feel very emotional on this day every year.....and today the day is as depressingly dark and grey as I feel.

This is the view from my kitchen window at 2 o clock in the afternoon. 2pm- talk about matching my mood




My grandmother Annie was one of three children,the baby of the family, born years after her two older brothers.They both fought in the First World War. Percy, the youngest brother was a young lance corporal when he died in 1915 - he was 19 years old.

I know in which foreign field he lies, I have photos of his grave in France.There is also just one precious solitary photo of him shyly smiling into the camera, standing in uniform outside a military tent ,so heartbreakingly boyish.

Albert, her older brother died during the Second World War.He was a Major by now, wore a much smarter uniform, but it wasn't enough to save him.

Annie went on to have a girl and two boys too.One of them was my father Freddie who continued the family tradition - I have two brothers. One of them was only a teenager when he got caught up in the Falklands War.He was in the Royal Navy - he signed on to see the world for three years.He was coming back home across the Atlantic from the USA on his final trip when his ship was redirected down to the Falklands.

Instead of bringing out the bunting and hugging my brother...I didn't see him for nearly a year.A year of avidly listening to the news every day, waiting for his letters,and praying that I wouldn't have to face what Annie went through .Luckily I didn't....

But like my great grandmother, grandmother and father ....yes, you've guessed ..I have a girl and two boys.

And I hope with all my heart that they will never have to make the sacrifices that Annie, Percy and Albert made all those years ago.

Today's track? Not from the First or Second World War - it's an anti war song that defined a different generation from theirs...From 1970...Edwin Starr


5 comments:

  1. That really is a pretty miserable scene. I keep thinking it's time to go home at 3pm because it looks so dull outside.

    Having said that, when the sunshine is out there's some stunning autumnal scenes about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least there was some (about 5 minutes worth!) of sunshine today , and yes some lovely russet, red and orange bursts of colour on the trees. I cna't believe how dank it was yesterday though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad was an active member of the Ex-servicemen Organisation and he never missed going to London to take part in the parade until November 1977 when he died and so the day always reminds me of Dad and makes me feel sad. So glad your brother came back safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had just such a miserable day here on the edge of the Peaks and I have to agree - it suited the mood. I wrote a long blog post but somehow couldn't bring myself to post it so now feel a little guilty for not marking the day but I was thinking of them - all those who lost their lives. Tragic waste!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ros, taking part in the annual service of remembrance must have been so poignant for your father.Friends lost for ever.....thank goodness he survived.

    Jem - hello! Good to ehar from you...yes, you're right , such a tragic waste.Would have liked to see your post...I ahd second thoughts about posting mine( could it be too depressing?)But it just wrote itself really.....

    ReplyDelete